History

Grey Main School since 1876...

Grey Main School opened on 19th October 1876 in Guinness Street.  The site was moved to Tainui Street in 1915 and remained there until 1974 when Grey Main School was moved to the present site in Joyce Crescent.  The memorial gates erected after the war were moved to the present site at Dixon Park.  The original school bell (1876) is still a feature at our school and stands proudly at the entrance way and is represented in our visual metaphor and signage.  A visual history painted by Kathy Hines of our wonderful school is on display in the foyer of the new administrative block.